Aluminium Doors: Why, What, and How Much
Aluminium Doors: Why, What, and How Much
In this article, we will be diving into the world of contemporary design and functionality, aluminium doors.
Aluminium doors give you a sleek and stylish entrance that has become a trademark of modern architecture and perfectly blends aesthetics and practicality.
Throughout this article we will explore the benefits, design aesthetics and considerations you need to make when choosing your aluminium doors to elevate your home. Whether you are looking for the minimalistic aesthetic for your home or the modern, corporate aesthetic for a commercial building, aluminium doors just might be the perfect solution that you've been looking for.
Let this article open the door to all the insights you need to make your decision.
Why choose aluminium doors?
Let this section of this blog article take you on a journey through the history of aluminium and how it became the popular choice it is today. In the early 20th century, aluminium was one of the most abundant elements on earth. However, it was hard to extract and refine. Aluminium was actually more precious than gold in the 19th century.
During the early 20th century there were advancements in technology and knowledge, leading to a significant reduction in the production costs of extracting aluminium. This made aluminium popular in industries such as construction.
The mid-20th century saw a rise of modern style architecture and design. Architects began to use innovative materials for construction which included aluminium. Its lightweight and string properties made aluminium a material that was desirable for doors as it allowed for larger glass panels and was able to be made with sleek designs. Due to the frequent use of aluminium in these settings, the aluminium door became a lot more common in commercial settings due to the material's durability.
In the late 20th century aluminium production continued to evolve and it became more affordable and accessible. This meant that it was able to be used in the broader residential setting. During this time there were also advancements in the manufacturing process for doors. Ultimately this meant that aluminium doors were no longer limited to having basic designs, making them more popular as well as technology allowing for thermal breaks and insulation to also be incorporated into the doors for better efficiency.
In the 21st century, the production of aluminium doors continued to evolve with design, energy efficiency and customisation options. At this time there is an uprise in attention focusing on sustainability and eco-friendly construction. Aluminium's recyclability has become a significant advantage in the industry. aluminium doors help to contribute to green building practices. With the 21st century seeing the integration of smart technology in door systems, allowing for remote control, security features and enhanced functionality in your doors.
Throughout the history of aluminium doors, they have gone from being mainly used in industrial settings to becoming stylish, energy-efficient and modern components of both residential and commercial spaces. The development of aluminium doors throughout history has mirrored advancements in aluminium production and techniques.
This brings us to today...
Aluminium doors continue to be a popular choice for those people seeking modern reliable, durable and visually appealing entrances.
Benefits of aluminium doors - what are they?
The best part of the blog article is here. The benefits of aluminium doors, what are they? Why should you choose aluminium doors? Read on and find out…
- Durability. Aluminium is naturally resistant to problems such as rust, corrosion and weathering. Aluminium doors are durable, and because of this, they are able to withstand various different environmental conditions without deteriorating over time.
- Low maintenance. Materials for your door such as wood require regular painting, staining and sealing. Whereas aluminium doors are very low maintenance, practically no maintenance. Simply cleaning them every now and then with non-abrasive cleaning products and materials is sufficient to keep your aluminium door looking clean and fresh, and operating smoothly.
- Versatility in design. When you get aluminium doors you can choose from various designs, finishes and styles, which makes it easy to find the perfect door that complements your architectural preferences.
- Energy efficiency. Modern aluminium doors can be made to include thermal breaks and insulating materials. These things help to enhance the door's energy efficiency. The thermal breaks and insulation help to regulate indoor temperatures, reduce energy consumption within the home and lower heating and cooling costs in your home too.
- Lightweight and strong. Aluminium is much more lightweight compared to other materials. This advantage makes the aluminium door easier to install and operate.
- Security. Aluminium doors can be made with some advanced locking mechanisms, multi-point locks and other security features. The great strength of aluminium adds an extra layer of security to your home.
- Longevity. Due to the aluminium doors' durability and resistance to wear and tear, aluminium doors tend to have a long lifespan. This means that the investment you make into the aluminium door will provide you with high quality for years to come.
- Environmental friendliness. Aluminium is a highly environmentally friendly material. It is a highly recyclable material, which makes aluminium doors a very eco-friendly choice. Choosing aluminium for your new doors supports a sustainable practice and reduces the demand for new raw materials.
Styles, colours and features of aluminium doors
Aluminium doors can come in lots of different styles, colours and features to suit all different kinds of architectural preferences and any functional requirements.
What styles are available for aluminium doors?
- Sliding doors. Sliding doors are the kind of doors that sit on tracks and slide horizontally to open and close. Sliding doors are space-efficient and they allow for floods of natural light and beautiful expansive views from the large glass panels. Check out our previous blog for more about sliding doors: https://www.etc.team/guides-tips/
- Bi-fold doors. Bi-folds are doors that have multiple panels that fold in on themselves in an accordion style to open up a wide space connecting the indoors and the outdoors.
- Swinging doors. Swinging doors are similar to traditional hinged doors, that can open inward or outwards. They can be used as double or single doors and are perfect for any place.
- French doors. Aluminium French doors usually have glass panels that open inward or outwards, providing a classic and elegant aesthetic to the room or home as a whole.
What colours can you have for aluminium doors?
- Neutrals. Standard colour options are available for aluminium doors. This includes shades like white, black, grey and a bronze tone. All of these colour ways provide a classic look and can blend into various architectural styles.
- Custom colours. Many different manufacturers offer the option for custom colour options which allow you to match your door and its colour to the specific design preference that you have to fit in with the overall colour scheme of your property.
- Wood finishes. Aluminium doors can also be finished to resemble different wood grains to provide a look that resembles the aesthetic of wood with the advantages and durability of aluminium.
What are the different features I can have on my aluminium doors?
- Glass options. Aluminium doors can be designed and created to feature many different types of glass. These glass options could include clear glass, frosted glass, tinted glass and or textured glass. The different choices of glass can affect the privacy in your home, the energy efficiency of your home ultimately reduces your energy bills and the glass options can affect the aesthetics you choose for your home to have too.
- Security. When designing your aluminium door you can add advanced locking mechanisms, multi-point locks and security glazing to enhance the security of your door and ultimately your home.
- Thermal breaks & insulation. Aluminium doors can have thermal breaks and or insulation added into the spaces between the interior and exterior parts of the door frame. This improves energy efficiency by preventing the transfer of heat and cold from inside and outside the house.
- Accessories. Aluminium doors are easily customised with different hardware options such as door handles or knobs, hinges, tracks and letterboxes. These accessories can enhance the overall appearance and functionality of the doors.
Energy efficiency of aluminium doors
Aluminium doors can be designed with energy efficiency in mind. They can be manufactured with specific features that help to prevent heat transfer and improve insulation. Some ways energy efficiency is included in aluminium doors are:
Thermal break technology
One of the challenges with aluminium as a material is its high thermal conductivity. This can lead to significant heat transfer between the interior and exterior surroundings of the aluminium door. To change and counter this reaction modern-day aluminium doors incorporate something called thermal break technology. A thermal break is something that is a non-conductive material (often Polyamide) that is put in between the interior and exterior parts of the door's frame. This thermal break breaks the direct path of heat conduction and reduces heat transfer from the inside of the house to the outside of the house and vice versa.
The glass you choose for your aluminium door plays a vital role in the energy efficiency levels of your aluminium door. Having a double or triple-glazed insulated glass unit installed into your door can improve its energy efficiency. The trapped air between the panes of glass (making it double or triple-glazed and giving insulation) acts as insulation barriers and keeps the warm in and the cold out which ultimately reduces heat transfer and improves overall energy efficiency.
Low - Low-emissivity (low-e) coatings are thin layers of metallic oxide that are applied to the surface of the glass panes in your doors. This coating helps to reflect heat and UV rays whilst still allowing all of the visible light through the glass proportion of the door. The Low-E coating prevents heat from coming into the home in the summer months and retains the warmth in your home during the colder months which in turn improves your energy ratings and tour doors energy performance.
Professional installation is crucial for making sure that your door fits properly and snugly into the opening you'd like it to fit into. This needs to be done without any gaps that could cause an air leakage. When your door has been installed properly it helps the door to maintain its energy-efficient properties and helps to prevent losing energy.
Energy Star certification
Looking for and making sure your aluminium doors are energy-star certified is important. This certification indicates that the door meets energy efficiency guidelines set by the environmental protection agency and also the Department of energy.
Costing of aluminium doors
The cost of aluminium doors can vary a lot depending on different factors, they can include the door type, size, design, complexity and the features you choose.
For a supply-only aluminium door (which is purchasing the door from someone like us, a supplier) and installing the doors yourself.
For a supply-only aluminium door the average price you can expect, again this is a very broad and brief estimate due to the factors stated above, is around £500-£2,500. These prices do vary depending on what you pick for your final product.
For a supply and fit option of aluminium doors that we offer this would mean we supply you with the door or doors and one of our expert fitting teams will also come and fit it for you. Our fitting teams have years of experience and expertise behind them ensuring that your installation is perfect.
The cost for supply and fit can range from £1,000 - £5,000 or beyond, with prices varying depending on which design options you choose.
The role of Ultion locks in aluminium doors
Ultion locks are high security locks and they are designs to give enhanced security for you and your loved ones in your home. Ultion locks are used on all kinds of doors including aluminium doors.
Ultion locks are known for their unique features such as resistance to lock picking, bumping and drilling as well as having a lockdown mode.
Inside every Ultion 3* and 3*plus door lock there is an extra lock that is hidden, it is another layer of protection from intruders. Encased in the middle of the locks is a solid molybdenum core that is secured with a retaining pin. The lockdown mode means that if there are signs of forced entry on the door or lock then the lock will trigger lockdown mode and your family and house will be safe.
To conclude our article all about aluminium doors and everything you need to know about them the world of architecture and design has been transformed by the introduction and evolution of aluminium doors.
The beautiful aluminium doors we have grown to know and love have become remarkable entrance ways that perfectly blend aesthetics and function that offer a wide range of benefits and bring a modern appearance to your home.
Elevate Your Home with Our High-Performance Aluminium Doors
Ready to make a lasting impression? Our aluminium doors are not just a gateway to your home; they're a gateway to style, durability, and cutting-edge design. Experience the perfect blend of aesthetics and functionality with our Fensa-approved installations. Don't just open doors; open possibilities.